Amelia Earhart was a childhood hero of mine. Of course by childhood, I refer to a period of time that stretched well into my early twenties...but I'm growing up now.

Friday, May 14, 2004

Con-grad-ulations!

So today I ventured out of my office to partake in some graduation festivities (okay, food). And I had some thoughts:

Can you believe all this pomp and circumstance?

I have heard many old women complain about the innappropriate way todays girls dress. I agree, but am at a loss to explain why these same old women wear dress shirts that show their bras, have enormous panty lines and the top of their briefs are often sticking out of their pants. Perhaps this is because at this age their undergarments could double for a tank top and shorts that would still be far more modest than the inappropriate clothing. I don't know, but I think the trends in both girls and grandmas are gross.

A graduation speech is terribly depressing given the gift of retrospect after the passing of a few years. I delivered one at my 8th grade promotion, full of hope and promise and a challenge to my classmates to soar in to life like our mascot, the Eagle. Not only do I realize now that many of those same classmates have not lived up to such lofty aspirations (myself included), but also that on some level I knew that would be the case when I gave the speech. An excercise in futility sugar-coated just enough so that everyone's parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents and third cousins, will go "aww" and applaud.

Leis are really pretty.


That's all for now, I have to catch my bus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|